September 12, 2007




This was a really bad picture that I decided to play with. It was crazy to try to get a snap of him, as he's b/w, on a black chair, with a window with bright light coming through a white sheer. My camera had no idea what to make of it :) I simply snapped when I saw it, I didn't even think about metering. Oh, well.

So here's the TON of work I did.
in ACR:
>increased exposure
> increased brightness
>Increased contrast
>increased the luniance smoothing
>increased color noise reduction
and played with the curve to make it more of an "s".
**************************
In Photoshop:
dodged the eyes (12%, midtones),
defog (I start at 60/20/0, and play from there)
sharpened,
crop
filter>noise reduction.

Like I said, the exposure was totally off, so there was alot to do to salvage this shot.

7 comments:

flute4peace said...

Wow, that was a lot of work!! It does look a ton better, though. I'm really enjoying this theme as I get to see what others do to salvage a not-so-great exposure.

Tera Fraley said...

What a difference it makes, all that hard work pays off!!

Tori said...

A lot of work, yes... but a good save! He's a cute kitty!

lcp said...

Well you did a great job even if it took a lot of work. Do you always start your defog at 60/20/0? I just started defogging at 20/60/0...will have to try your numbers and see how they work out. Cute kitty!

Lorrie said...

good job. I like the closer crop, and the brightening. What a pretty kitty!

Deb said...

You fixed it though! It looks great.

P.S. You have to change your 2 Peas siggy to 3 year old imp now ;-)

amazing grace said...

this is a great save! i have a not so good pic on my blog that I just can't get right...it's driving me nuts and of course i didn't shoot it in RAW so I can't do much with the white balance...argh....

you did great!

leah