July 16, 2009

The amazing four day growth of a determined four year old.


This is the story of a girl who decided this year was going to be her turn to learn to swim. She talked about it all year.
So Friday the 10th, she got in the pool. She kept saying, "I need to practice. I'm learning to swim" although she wasn't floating or putting her face in the water yet. But she was sooo determined. So I offered to give her floaties, not inflated all the way.
She swam. She swam in the deep end. She swam across the pool. She kept telling herself, "Concentrate. Concentrate!"
Mind you, this was TOTALLY coming from her. I encouraged her, but did not put any pressure on her. When she got stuck, I'd give her a helpful hint. But this was totally Miss S, being her determined, self motivated self.
Once she swam across the deep end, she was hooked. She took the floaties off, and went back to practicing.
At the beginning of the day, I told my parents, "She'll be swimming in two weeks! She's so determined to do this!" After the deep end, when she got herself moing a stroke or two without help, I told them "One week! Can you believe this??"

Then, she slipped off a step. Her eyes were open. She saw her sister's mermaid fin swim by. She burst out of the water shouting, "I did it!!! I saw (Miss K) swimming!!! I was UNDER THE WATER!!!!"
That day, she jumped in the water from the steps. She went under the water over and over. And SHE SWAM. I'm not exaggerating. She was swimming.
The next time she was in the water (the 12th), she discovered she could jump in from the side of the pool. And she held her breath a little longer. And swam a little further.
The next time she swam was the 14th. She was a little more reluctant, and hit an obstacle. Toward the end of the day, I taught her the game of having an underwater tea party. She was hooked. And she realized going LOW in the water was FUN.
Now we're up to the 15th. I kid you not, this kid is SWIMMING, underwater. She is swimming under my legs. She is diving for diving sticks. She's having underwater picnics with her pool turtle toy, "Cookie." She can swim about 10 feet underwater, a quarter of the distance of the pool.
And I am so proud, and so amazed by my four year old kid, who decided she was going to swim. And did.

3 comments:

Nicki said...

Big congrats to her. Now you have to REALLY watch the pool because of her new sense of confidence. We have raised 2 children with an in-ground pool and I was always careful about their access to the pool - but even more so after they 'felt' they knew how to swim. My son was an early swimmer - diving off the board by 4 - but one day, for some unknown reason, he went off the board - came up and screamed for help - said he couldn't make it - down under again. I went in after him (fully clothed) because for that split second - he lost confidence and it wasn't worth the risk. (sorry such a long reply - just wanted to remind you to keep an extra eye out now she "thinks" she knows how to swim.)

pat said...

Sara--I second Nikki's congrats and cautions. My daughter swam early and we lived near a lake and I had to be extra vigilant, just for those moments when her confidence faltered or she pushed her limits. On the other hand--watch out world! Drive and focus like that can accomplish ANYTHING, and to start at 4--HOLY SMOKES!!!!! What an amazing girl!!!

Sara said...

Thanks for the warnings, ladies. Don't worry, I absolutely believe the overly confident child is more at risk than the non-swimmer. But thank you!
And Pat, I'm on the same page as you-
"Drive and focus like that can accomplish ANYTHING, and to start at 4--HOLY SMOKES!!!!! What an amazing girl!!!"
That's the part that keeps blowing me away.