April 24, 2007

Grandma's serving platter

This goes back a few generations- 4, I think- which is what makes me cherisg a small silver serving dish. The grape pattern has always intrigued me. My grandmother used to have a Wedgewood set that was a gorgeous blue- with a similiar relief pattern on them0 but in white. I remember these dishes from the formal dinners in my grandparents' dining room- Grandpa was a formal kinda guy. It reminds me of being surrounded by all that family history, the way you could see the sunset from the dining room window, how you could look out the window on the side and see some silly decoration my grandmother had put out to cheer up the "waiting bench"~ Gram ran a nursery school for 40 years that was an addition built on to the house, connecting through a breezeway~ The Last Supper hanging over the buffet, the blue wallpaper, the swinging door like a real restaurant to the kitchen; how I first heard about the Grateful Dead during a Thanksgiving dinner in that room- how my husband had the opportunity to be a part of those traditions before they morphed into what we have now that "GG' has left her home.
I remember the endless jokes about how dinner was ready when the smoke detector sounded, how when it was time for pie my dad nad his siblings got up and got straws to make their point (I'd kill them!!! :) ). About how Thanksgiving was about remembering loved ones who passed on (it was an anniversary of a family member's death), how the mini tv in the kitchen- b&w with rabbit ears- was kept on just low enough that one of us could know when to go in and check the football score. How my cousin and I always did the wish bone at Thanksgiving.
I remember so vividly going into this room- surrounded by old furniture that held family "treasure", and just looking at all the glass. I remember feeling kinda reverent almost. YOu could take one step into that room and understand immediaelty how family tradition is. ABout how my family treasures passing along memntos and heirlooms, to keep those that have gone before us alive.
If you made it all the way through this novel, GOOD FOR YOU.
This was snapped quickly on a pillow under my den light. The only real mod I did was to boost the contrast +50 from +13. Settings: 1/50, 2.0, 800 ISO. This shot made me want a good macro lens...

10 comments:

The Sarah Bear said...

very nice... if dishes could talk... other than those that appear on the Beauty and Beast :)

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your description, Sara. So many family stories are set in just such a place. Thanks for sharing one of yours.

Kim said...

Wow - what a great story! I love the shot too!

Cindi Koceich said...

Very sweet memories of your family! This is a beautiful dish on top of being a tresured keepsake!

Sue said...

I really love your entry. Beautiful words and memories surrounding family traditions - all from the capture of this object. Really wonderful.

Dana said...

I really like your journalling. The shot is fabulous. I've been thinking of doing something similar...now I feel inspired. If only I had more time :) You should scrap it.

Amy said...

What a beautiful dish (great capture) and wonderful memories to go with it.

Joanne Fowler said...

What great memories. It is so cool that you have something like this to remind you of those times.

Lorrie said...

what a beautiful post today. I love reading all the memories you have. Great post and shot!

Anna said...

Love the words and the picture! Great job capturing great memories!