April 30, 2007

May 1, 2007 On being Momma


What I do?
I am Momma. My older dd asked me, "Why can't I call you Sara?"

My answer was, "Because only two people in the whole world are important enough in my life to have the privledge to call me Momma."

I spent my whole life collecting moments, the savory pieces of emotion, memory, experience, heart ache. Tastes and flavors. Smells. Treasuring the lilac that leaves a scent so strong it can hurt- and then in a whisper is gone.
The imprint of a warm sun on my face. The smell of choclate. The power of a wave pulling me to sea. The incredible smallenss of standing under a star filled sky. Or the tears filling my eyes to overflowing seeing the majesty of Leonardo's work in the Vatican.
Spending an afternoon beside a brook, listening to the stories it has to tell.
Watching a small child with an elderly relative. Or stranger.
Hearing another's story.
Sitting in the grass and letting it tickle.
Finding a "good spot" in bed, on the sofa, on the beach.
Seeing an old friend.
Seeing a love lost.
Seeing your lover.

Feeling God's hand in your life, helping you choose right.
Knowing your friend needs you. Missing my grandmother. Missing my friend. Missing.

The spark that comes from creativity. The power of knowing you have made a difference. The buzz after performing an act of kindness. The bigger buzz when it is anonymous.

The struggle of self preservation, and empathy.
The gift of wonder.

All of these I gather in my heart and soul. For I know they will help me be the mother to you I want and dream to be.

This is what I do outside of photograghy.

11 comments:

Michelle said...

that is beautiful. made a tear come to my eye...and that doesn't happen often. such a great summation of what a mother is at heart. love your photos too.

Dar Kaso said...

What a beautiful post and beautiful photos of you and your babies.

Me said...

BEAUTIFUL Journaling. I love your photos, too. NICE!

Jan said...

Wonderful shots and journaling... Very touching!

Life's little pleasures said...

So sweet! I have two little girls also! What a blessing they are! Love the shots and the story...thanks for sharing!

Heather Taylor Photography said...

Love your heartfelt journaling with the photos... beautiful!

Sue said...

What a beautiful and heartwarming post. And what an amazing woman and mother you are :) Love the pictures!

Cindi Koceich said...

Wow...beautifully said!!!

Amy said...

WOW!!!! I could not put it any better, any more eloquently. Being a mother is the most important thing!

Lorrie said...

gorgeous sentiments. I love being a mommy. it's the best job I have EVER had!! Love the shots and the journaling.

Chris said...

I couldn't have said it better myself. You're quite a writer. I thought I was going to struggle this week because being a mum is all I do...but you showed me exactly how much that is.

Chris