July 13, 2007

Grandpa's rocking horse




Tonight I have a tale to tell.
My grandmother is an amazing woman. She was raised with money, and with a hightened awareness of proper social etiquette. That being said, she is vivavious and funny and very clever and creative. She graduated from Weelock College with a degree in early childhood education. Did I mention that she is 91? In the day, that was no small task (not that it's small today either, but- you know what I mean). She has some fun stories from growing up...she dated Joe Kenneday Jr, but he stopped calling on her when she wouldn't sneak out and go to visit Kennebunkport (sp?) with him (she just knew she'd be caught).
On a train headed to- hmm, I'm not sure I remember where, maybe to New York? or New Haven? she met my grandfather. He was older than she, charming, and she assumed not available. he changed his plans just to be on the train with her. They later married.
My grandmaother converted the garage into a nusury school called Little Brick School, which she ran for forty years. The backyard became an amazing playyard, with a playhouse that included a slide down the chimney, a rescued water tower ladder which she had fashoined into alternating "m" shapes for kickin' monkey bars, four swings fashioned to an "x" configuration, with a wheel mechanism mounted to a tall pole. The end result- four kids run in a circle with the swings around their bellies. If they time it right, they all go flying, H I G H!!!
She would find interesting tree stumps and arrange to have them brought to her yard for a place for kids to climb and create forts out of. She had an old foyer/steeple type building that she recovered and had as another little building which housed bikes. At some point, there was a small school house built as a parade float, which then became another playhouse.
She had giant murals painted inside the school. She created an indoor sand room in the space above the breezeway connecting the house and school.
Her creativity goes on and on.
Fortunately, my grandfather was also creative, and good with tools.
"Tom, I found this old saddle. I think the children need something they can pretend is a horse, on which they can ride."
My grandfather would grumble, and then created a saw horse type thing that fit the saddle, and was ambigous enough for imaginations to let the beast be anything they could possibly think of.
"Tom, I think the children need to be able to rock." This is what I imagine she said. All I know is I grew up thinking my grandmother's house was the most magical, amazing place in the whole world. And one of the many things I grew up playing with was this horse my grandfater built. The seat is well worn, and it has been painted many, many times. But it positively made me tear up with joy to see my children rocking on Grandpa Tom's horse.
Sadness, too. He died before I married, before my children were born.
And the school was sold before my kids got to see it. It was moved off the property to some other place.
The house has been remodeled; the playground is no more, and I understand the school is now a master bedroom suite and kitchen? maybe. I don't really want to know.
I'm sad my kids missed it. But I'm so grateful for the pieces that are left to help me pass along the magic to my kids.
And my grandmother? She's an surprising blend of strongly traditional, and very hip to current day. She's funny and gracious, generous and creative, and one of my strong role models for dealing with children, projects and the small problems of life...
wanna know how to clean silver without having to polish endlessly? Or to take a fruit stain out of a dress?
GG's (short for great-grandma) has it covered.
Thanks for reading through my tribute novel today. I get super sentimental, and I make no excuses. Thanks for looking!

9 comments:

jordan.krogman said...

Sara -- I wish I could know your grandmother in real life; she sounds like so much fun, and you really painted a beautiful picture of her. What an amazing, creative woman!!! I'm sorry that your grandfather never got to meet your kids, but it's nice to know that they have these kinds of stories to hear and smile about. They'll appreciate this little horse so much as they grow up. Thanks for sharing your story and photos!

~JustJulie~ said...

What a beautiful post. You make me think of my grandma, especially with "GG." My grandma never wanted to be "great" so she went with GG. Great implied old. Sadly, she passed away a few years ago, rather unexpectedly. Papa GG (because there had to be a way to distinguish which "GG" we were talking about) is still alive. He'll be 92 in September. They were/are the grandparents that were never supposed to die, so naturally, Grandma's passing was very difficult for me. But, my Anna will forever carry on her name forever. I was pregnant with her when my Grandma died. Anna Mae is a combination of the middle names of both of my grandmothers. I think of my grandmas often and miss them dearly. Thank you for your story.

Teri said...

Oh how neat the rocker is. I love old things and to know something like this is still in the family.

Mom2Drew said...

so...have you written a book yet? Seriously...you have a knack for "sucking me in." I love your stories, so full of detail and info. What a grandma you have and such a spry woman she sounds like. Love the shots too, looks like your kids are in love with the rocking horse.

~~Debb~~ said...

Wonderful story, Sara! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
My maternal Grandparents lived in Holland and I rarely saw them. My paternal Grandparents were closer, but my Grandmother didn't speak english, so I never got real close to her. Because of that,I tried extra hard to make sure my daughters were close to their Grandparents. The stories they tell are timeless. You're very lucky to have/had them in your life so long! It's great you've got a picture of your girls on the horse, great memory.

Me said...

Sara,
I loved your journaling. I feel like I know your GG. Everything you wrote about her could be said about my mom (she started a preschool in our basement and later moved to a church where she ran an enrollment of 200 families for 30 years). I'm curious how your mom (dad?) felt about growing up with the preschool in the home? I'm so sad that your children missed out on the school. My kids were lucky to attend my mom's school. You are doing a great job keeping the memories alive. Your journaling would make a great magazine short story.

Jan said...

What an incredible story... I loved reading all of it!! You did a beautiful job with your journaling and you pictures. How wonderful for you to have her in your life--and your kids... TFS this terrific story!

Michelle said...

what a wonderful tribute to an amazing woman...and man. sounds like they really knew what mattered in life...thanks for sharing a glimpse into your family.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.