August 21, 2007

Maybe hope as well as faith.


I have a very small deck off of our townhouse, and no yard. But I love being outside. Part of being outside is growing flowers. I have four flower boxes with flowers on my railing and one flower pot; two big tubs with tomato plants, and another two big pots with basil on the floor of my deck.
In the limited space we are allowed to plant in the landscaping, I have a lilac bush (a year and a half old), a two year old peony, and this year I added a rose bush. I'm a reckless gardener who sees something that would be just right, check the tag to see if it can stand the FULL SUN our little bits of garden has, and go with it. If I run into an issue, I simply research later.

Okay, so gardening is a fun hobby. But there is something very, very special about growing life out of the dirt. Food to nourish my family (well, supplement our nourishment, anyway) and flowers to give a bit of privacy to our deck, and to provide us the joy of having beauty to look at each day. It humbles me to serve my God and my planet by growing living things. It gives me faith in our earth, it gives me faith in the circle of life, and it makes me feel great. Can you really ask for anything else from a garden, no matter how small?

Okay, now after the RANT thread, I'm offering this up for HHCC. I am not easily offended and know these are not spectacular. So CC away!!! (please).

Settings: 10D, 50 mm lens, (1/80 for the gerbers, 1/100 for the roses), 3.5, ISO 200. RAW. Natural light. I'm not POSITIVE about my edits, but I THINK this was the deal:

ACR: boost contrast, change wb. PS: light screen layer, probably @ 20%. defog. crop. sharpened and resized for web.

THanks for looking, and am interested to hear the cc!

11 comments:

Sue said...

Wow - I hven't benn to your blog in forever! I have missed so much. I think those flower pics are gorgeous! ove the color and I definitely love the composition on these :)

cherie said...

I have no CC first I admire your ablity to grow thse gorgeous flower(not so good at that myself)love the daisies. like to color in these and the compostion.
thanks for stopping by my blog and for the comments and CC , very helpful!

It's These Little Moments said...

Wow! Those flowers are gorgeous. Wish I could grow something like that. No CC I like you composition on these.

Cindi Koceich said...

Loved your journaling!!! These flowers are beautiful!!! The only CC I have is really not CC...just opinion. The wrinkles in the tablecloth are a bit distracting to me. I would probably use the blur tool to soften them!
Gorgeous!!!

Kathy King Photographer said...

Sara, I enjoyed seeing your post tongight with all of the details you included. I love this! These photos are fresh, with interesting composition and great dof. The wrinkles in the tablecloth are a bit distracting in the daisy photo but I have always been a big contrast person. Great writing by the way.

Lisajdm said...

I love both of these. I like the first one best. I love those colors and I like that angle a little better. But they're both beautiful. tfs.

Sara said...

LOLa baout the wrinkles. It's a wood table and because of the dof, it looks like wrinkles. Bokeh gone bad, LOL!

Jen said...

Beautiful flowers. I wish I could actually grow stuff....No cc. Very nice shots.

Lorrie said...

Sara, beautiful flowers. My only CC is that I would've liked to have seen the flowers in the first shot not cut off, and as far as the second shot... it's perfect to me. Love the comp, dof and color. Beautiful. I wish I had a green thumb. I kill silk plants. lol.

Unknown said...

OOOH pretttttty! :)

flute4peace said...

Love the pictures, love the words! I definitely relate to the spirituality of growing things.