February 4, 2008

Day 34~ 2. 5. 08. ~ BFF

This is "My Best Friend Dora" with S. My funny little S. discovered her BFF when grocery shopping- HER FAVORITE THING TO DO!!??!!- when we stumbled across this life size Dora. S. was immediately captivated. Each time we went shopping, we had to "visit" Dora. first, we took her off her shelf, then we pressed her hand to listen to her talk and sing, then S. would hold her hand (through the plastic) and tell her all about our day.
S. decided Santa would of course bring her BFF home to her.
Dora is a little bit scary. She is the same size as S., and she has a GIANT head. S. has largely ignored her.
But within the last few days, we've braided her hair, talked and sang with her, and today S. climbed on her lap to whisper and laugh with her. She even posed for this picture!! I think the difference has been the Dora now sits on the floor. She is much less intimidating that way.

So, I was playing with my flash today. I shot this (manually) at 1/160, 5.6, 1000 ISO. The flash was bounced to the right of me, off blinds and the ceiling. 100mm lens (no, it hasn't come off my camera in a few weeks!).
TFL, and yes, I blew her cheek a little. I had a hard time without metering with the very darks, vrey lights and everything in between. Any advice?

25 comments:

Unknown said...

I think its a great picture! tfs.

lcp said...

We love Dora in our house as well. Although a life size one would be a little intimidating! :-) Love your DS's expression!

For Over 29 Years... said...

What a great story! TFS. I think you captured dora perfectly! LOL

Anonymous said...

Great jounrnaling to go with the photo!!! That is a big DORA!
cari

Mom2Drew said...

Oh so cute! Dora is pretty cute, but your DD takes the cake. Nice work with flash and yes...I love my macro too:)

HC said...

LOL now that is one life size Dora! Great capture and great close up.

Chell said...

LOL great story. Fun picture of them together.

Debbi said...

Great story and photo! Wish I could give you advice on the flash - that's one area I haven't even begun to conquer/learn!

Michelle said...

that would be a little scary to me too! :) love this shot and i think your flash looks great! very natural.

Margaret said...

Love the journaling you did here! You're right. Dora is a little scary with that oversized head! Nice shot!

Merilee said...

Ahh Dora... This is a cute shot. My neighbor was just telling me about the "lifesize Dora".
BTW I LOVE the photo in your last post too. It is so perfect and sweet.

Angelica said...

What a sweet little photo! My DD is also a Dora fan but when I saw how huge that Dora was, I knew DD would get freaked b/c I think it is a little creepy...how big it is!

Kimberly said...

That is so sweet! Cute story, great shot!

Amy said...

Wow, Dora has a huge head! Very cute shot of S. and Dora!

Anonymous said...

her cheek doesn't look blown to me! i think you did a great job!

that's one huge doll! my dd has a big doll that was her absolute favorite too when she was younger! it's so cute seeing little girls with big dolls!

Mandy said...

A little scray...at first I thought she was one of those people in a costume Dora's she is so big. I cannot let me DD see this photo...she will want one. Dora is superior in our home.

Great photo! It does look like she loves her very much.

Jen said...

OMG... My DD will NOT see this photo... she;ll want this as well... Great shot though... I think is looks nice!

Becky said...

DD used to be a big Dora fan too. This Dora is a little freaky, though, isn't she? Your DD looks so cute and happy with her. No advice for you; I don't "get" metering.

Melissa said...

Cute little story. I've been practicing with my flash too. I can't seem to bounce at an angle without getting a shadow behind the person?

pakosta said...

so cute and that is ONE big dora! LOL!
tara

Tori said...

The 100mm is my all time favorite lens! It rarely comes off my camera! You did fantastic with your flash here... her cheek doesn't look at all blown on my end. I really enjoyed your journaling too.

mamawest777 said...

I think the exposure is great, especially the the combination of tonality in the picture!! Good job. Don't think I could sleep with Dora in my room, though!! ;0)

Just Being Sam said...

We LOVE Dora here!!!! She has been a friend to my boy for a long time now. Cute pic.

Shawna said...

How cute!! What a sweet little face (Dora is pretty cute too!) =)

Bobbi said...

Wow, that is a big Dora. That is so cute that she had to visit it each time. I think you did a great job with your flash :)