February 23, 2008

Day 54 *shapes* 2. 23. 08.

So, if you had several hours to yourself in the winter, what would you do?
I decided to go tromping though the woods, armed with my 5D, macro, monopod, tissues and warm gloves. And hiking shoes. And fake sherpa vest under my wintercoat.
I live very close to much state parkland, which makes this a beautiful place to live. I drive through a Palisades State Park (not connected to Palisades in NJ- differnt park) every day on my way to work, or visiting my parents, etc. I could take a highway, but why would I choose to do that if this is my alternative? Anyway- I've been wanting to go on a photo adventure in this park for the almost five years we've lived here.
This was a happy accident. I found and old rusted out hunk of metal laying among the brush. Doesn't it have great color?

This was a HUGE patch of ice, sitting between me and a wall of ice and giant icicles. I figured I spent most of the winters of my childhood skating on ponds and streams~ why not? I made it across without falling.

Isn't this cool? It's a layer of ice that formed over a ditch of sorts, with a layer of leaves underneath. I love how the sun is lighting up the ground under the ice.

This old tree was amazing. It was covered in all sorts of creepygrowing things that I have no clue what they are! Unfortunately, my shots of those didn't come out as well- full sun and errant brances in the way. Anyway, this tree just looked like it has a story to tell, doesn't it?

Thanks for looking! And please- as always, I am grateful for HHCC.
Oh- and yesterday's plant was the trunk of a rubber tree plant.

11 comments:

Stacey said...

THese are really cool pictures. I love the texture and colors you caught. Nice job.

mamawest777 said...

These are beautiful, Sara!! Love the detail in the tree! That is amazing!! Great job.

Anonymous said...

These are really cool! I really like the tree trunk photo! I have been debating over a fish eye lens and a macro...what is a girl to do???
cari

Unknown said...

No cc here... these are unique and beautiful shots. You could make textures with them in ps. Awesome work as always. hugs, toni

Becky said...

Beautiful details, Sara. I agree with Toni that these would make great textures too. What a workout to tromp through icy woods with all that gear. You killed two birds with one stone. :-)

Anonymous said...

Sara...you got some totally amazing photos! I am stunned with detail and beauty of each and every one. You could use the top two as awesome overlay textures on other photos too! SO fun.

Bobbi said...

These are super cool, I was going to say that they would make great textures too, especially that first one.

Shawna said...

Great nature shots! I wish I didn't hate the cold so much so I could try this! I love the metal scrap shot! And the old tree trunk too!

jewels said...

You have amazing texture in each photograph... I would actually use your 3rd one as a texture for future photos! :) That tree ring is captivating, as I'm sitting here counting how old it is! LOL, and the color on the rust is very intriguing! I'm jealous, I want to go tromping through the woods now!

Cheers,
jewels

For Over 29 Years... said...

What a great day you had. Love that you got to capture it to remember it by. Those photos are just fantastic.

pat said...

Sara, I am seriously loving these photos! This is the kind of stuff I go out after--in fact, I have a whole series on my blog of ice abstracts. You caught the textures and the patterns in all of these really well. Isn't it amazing what is underfoot and all around, once you start looking?