May 30, 2008

Flowers, "She's FINALLY HERE!!!!"

Flash back four years ago... (looking for a digi pic from that time frame has made me realize 1~ my baby has grown into a totally different young girl... 2~my photography has grown, too... 3~I love that I used to date my pictures so I can readily figure out when it was taken... 4~ I need to scan in some film pics of K at this age in her dressups. I don't appear to have any, other than actual dresses- yes, this is a dress she is wearing- from that time digitally. But Great Scott, Batman- I digress!!!)

Four years ago, K fell in love with Barbie movie, "Fairytopia". For those not blessed by this particular experience, I can tell you that Elina lives in her own flower home, Peony.
I wish I had a picture of my young princess to go with this post- she was 3 years old, dressed in her pink ballerina dress up, ballet slippers and probably a purse or some other finishing touch. I know this, because she LIVED in that particular ensamble for about a year.
Anyway, when I was in Walmart getting my annuals, I noticed peony bulbs. Knowing nothing about them, I decided to treat my princess to her very own peony. We just knew our very own fairy would happily move in.
What we (I) didn't know is, it takes four years to mature into bloom. Ugh!
So, without further ado, our first bud of the year...

...has blossomed into full regal, magical beauty today!!! Oh, the joy and excitement.


All taken with 100 mm. Bud 5.29.08; blooms 5.30.08

1/125, 3.5, ISO 500

1/320, 5.6, ISO 250,

1/160, 8, ISO 250.

All run with strong contrast curve in ACR;

defog and screen light layer at low opacity.

First bloom with "cloudy" WB,

second with "shade".

Thanks for looking!




13 comments:

pat said...

Sara, the good news is that once peonies have settled in, they last forever. You can find them in the midwest where old farm houses used to be; no house left, but huge peony bushes. I LOVE this one with the two-tone, ruffled and shredded center. Just GORGEOUS!!

Chell said...

Oh wow that is incredible. So pretty but 4 years... Ouch that is a long time to wait.

Amy said...

This is gorgeous. I want some peonies so badly. My gram had beautiful bushes and I wish I had dug one up when they sold their house.

Mom2Drew said...

You have such a great way with words, it's like i'm sitting in your living room, listening to you speak. I love it!

What a beautiful bloom!

Reds said...

So beautiful! Love your journaling on this!

Becky said...

What a great story! Now don't do what I did and forget where the bush is and mow it down. :-{ Thankfully, it popped back up this year after a couple of years.

Jess said...

How amazing! I didn't know that about peonys either! It is GORGEOUS, a perfect home for a fairy! :)

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

What a pretty flower. Great detail. Very sweet journaling.

Bobbi said...

Oh wow, I didn't know it took that long for peonies to bud! That is such an awesome story and I really love the beauty of this flower. Worth the wait for sure.

Cindi Koceich said...

OMGoodness...it was worth the wait! How gorgeous is that!!
We are in love with all of the Barbie movies here too! I must go and get some peony bulbs now so we can enjoy them before my girls go to college! LOL!

Margaret said...

Beautiful journaling and fabulous peony pictures!

Angela2932 said...

Beautiful peony flowers. . . you're getting me excited about seeing my peonies again! And I love the photo of K, so adorable and beautiful!

Tera Fraley said...

wow 4 years, thats a long wait. Sure is beautiful though!! I love the bud and the flower that it bloomed into.