January 12, 2008

Day 13

Focus on 2008: The Madonna

4. I choose to focus on: my religion and my role in my family.

The Madonna became a powerful sybol and source of strength for me following a conversation with my grandmother. During the most difficult struggle as a mother, an aquaintence gave her a carving of the madonna and child. A simple note said, "she knows your pain."

That thought has been a source of comfort to me. I try to meditate on that when my reserves are low. It provides an accessibility to my spirituality that is just very real for me. I especially love this particular Madonna, cracks, dirt and all.

I want to focus on the power and comfort and strength of religion, and restrengthen my relationship with my God. And I want to be a role model for my family, especially my children. It is important to me for my daughters to grow up knowing the love of their God. It is part of their roots.

TFL. This photo is of a 3/4 life size Madonna, part of a manger that a local church displays each year. It is amazing. It has the three kings, shephard, farmer and animals, as well as angel. My daughters and I look foward to visiting it each year! It makes Christmas so real. I wish my photo wasn't so dark, but I really didn't have a lot of time- I had K. with me, and it was cold. And, I wanted to enjoy the moments of prayer and wonder with her.
Tech: 1/160, 5.0, 250 ISO. 5D, 70-200.

12 comments:

Michelle said...

love how real this Madonna looks. the expression on her face is so thoughtful. sounds like you are steering your family in the right direction...

Toni said...

I think that is fabulous and one of my focuses this year also. Love it! TOni

bcgal00 Rae said...

Nice clear shot! Great journaling with this one too!

Angela2932 said...

Beautiful! Nice cropping, too. You write in such inspiring ways. . . it makes me wish I could go back and redo this week and follow the theme.

Tomboymama said...

I love your journal entry and such a nice picture to accompany it, very serene and sacred feeling to it.

Mandy said...

Great photo and focus.

Bobbi said...

Great photo and reminder. the note is very inspiring.

Tori said...

beautiful shot....

Becky said...

I'm catching up on your blog for the past few days, so I want to say that's a beautiful Madonna and I love your journaling, love your action of K jumping, and good luck with your goals. Weight is a constant battle for me, I can so relate.

Margaret said...

Very serene-looking shot. Loved reading about your increased focus on your religion. One of my goals, too!

For Over 29 Years... said...

So beautiful and love the journaling to go with it.

Val said...

Pretty photo