January 21, 2008

Day 22- words

These are responsible for the most miraculous change in my oldest daughter, K. She has always been the baby, child, girl who got sick. I used to say if someone in the grocery store sneezed five ailes away, K would have strep or broncitis before we checked out. When she was a baby, we would say, "well, when she gets to school her immune system will be strong."
Then she was sick for two years of preschool. "Well, she'll be healthy when she gets to kindergaten."
Not.
Enter our wonderful family allergist, who in August diagnosed K with asthma, as well as finding some underlying allergies.

I wasn't crazy about the idea of pumping a little girl's body with medication, I have to tell you. He asked me to committ to trying them for one month.
We noticed an immediate difference.
She has not been on antibiotics once this school year.
Last year, she was on antibiotics 12 times.
She has missed 6 days this year. Two of those were for a family wedding. One of those was because I was too sick to get her to school.
Last year, in total, she missed over 20.

Her postnasal drip is gone. Her snoring is gone. Her constant throat clearing is gone. Her occassional mild runny nose no longer develops into psnemonia, strep or some other chest involved infection.

I cannot say enough for how much these two medications have helped my girl. Thank you, Doctor S!

CWB, 5D, 100 macro setting.
Veramyst: 1/400, 5.6, ISO 1000 (um, should have checked that!)
Singulair: 1/125, 5.6, ISO 1000
defog and resized both.
TFL!

20 comments:

Kristi said...

That is SO great!!! How wonderful that she hasn't been sick and needed antibiotics all year!! My husband also has allergies and had asthma as a child. He never takes anything and has the SAME symptoms your daughter did. I JUST told him "When you go to your DR on Friday ask for Veramyst along with your Singulair!!!" Thanks! ;)

Ginnie said...

20 days, wow! There is nothing worse then a sick child. Poor thing. I'm glad the doctors got things figured out.

pakosta said...

glad your girl feels better! great that you captured this!
tara

Bobbi said...

Oh I am so happy for her...and you! That is great that this really helped her and she has been able to go to school much more, yay! :)

lcp said...

How wonderful she has responded so well to the meds. We know singulair well in our house too...my oldest was on it for a few years. this is the first year he has not needed it! Great images - ISO 1000 and no noticable noise!

Debbi said...

How great for all of you that you found something to help her!! Having a sick child can be very draining on everyone. I'm so glad she's feeling better!

Angela2932 said...

Good for you for being open-minded about trying this, even though you were hesitant at first! I hope you scrapbook this, (maybe with a sad little sickie page???) because years from now, it'll bring back memories of this very definite phase of your life (which is hopefully now over!)

cherie said...

so glad you found something that helped her, those are indeed wonderful words and a great choice for the theme!

Mom2Drew said...

I'm so glad that you found something that works! I am sure it's making her life a bit easier (and her parents' too.) Still enjoying your new camera?

Amy said...

Wow, that is a huge difference, I'm so glad the doctor was able to figure it out! Great shot!

Liz said...

Wow what a big difference, I hope she stays healthy for the rest of the winter. :)

Unknown said...

DD and I are both on Singulair! Great stuff. Really like the story board you did here. Heres to zero more colds. :-)

Val said...

I've got two on Singulair too. Love your photos! I was also reluctant to put my kids on meds, but after one of my sons was shipped to a higher level pediatric center last year, I said yes to meds. Gotta do what we gotta do, right?

Toni said...

Allergies are miserable! Hope this is working for her.

Mandy said...

Gosh that is so wonderful that you were able to find something that worlds. It does make these words, and the photo, beautiful.

Becky said...

That is WONDERFUL! And you can go ahead and rag on me about the Patriots; I can take it. :-)

Anonymous said...

I hate when my kids are sick. I will have to look into this because when you are describing your daughter just insert me and that is how I get or actually am right now.

Margaret said...

Nice shot and glad to hear how the medication has improved your daughter's health!

Margaret said...

Nice shot and glad to hear how the medication has improved your daughter's health!

Tera Fraley said...

THats great!! I often feel I need something!! Im on zyrtec and singular but still manage to get sinus infections!! Bad too- so glad it works for her!